Friday, May 22, 2009

The Vanishing Shadow Review

The first Judy Bolton book from the series was published in 1932. 
I decided to read this book first as I had bought 3 Judy Bolton books at around the same time as everything I had read about the series indicated to me that I would like it. The main attraction to the series was probably the fact that the character gets older and develops a relationship and marries.
I like the Beverly Gray Series as it was like a soap- opera that advanced in each book, and as I have noow nearly read all the Judy Bolton books I need something new to read. I like other Girl Mystery Series books as well like the Trixie Belden series but I would of liked to have seen Trixie advance past the age of 13 considering there are 39 books in the series.
I was not disappointed with Judy Bolton. She is a girl with flaws, capable of sudden temper outbursts, a bit stubborn, opinionated and full of adventure.
The story was well paced and I liked the added element of possible romance in the future (and instantly had to check online that she ended up with the right man down the track - in my opinion by the first book she did.) The mystery was a well thought out one and not the typical haunted house story (that was left for book 2 lol) it was also good that Judy's brother was able to be a major character in the story without it distracting from Judy's role as the main slueth. Though I would have to say that her brother Horace does not possess any qualities needed to be a Newspaper Reporter (his chosen profession) in this story.
And why is Ginger drawn as a white horse on the cover?

No comments:

Post a Comment